Friday, September 11, 2009

G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra [Review]



[WARNING: MAY INCLUDE SPOILER]


So i went to watch G.I. Joe during my Time Off. Alone.
But I partially wished that my coursemates were with me because there are a bunch of Physics application in the movie.

I mean, was that plasma weaponry!?
Ripcord mentioned about "Mach 6", meaning it exceeds the speed of sound (Approximately 343 meters per second), where Mach number more than 1 means it's a supersonic velocity.

Throughout the movie my mind was so focused on relating the science fiction element to the real one. For instance, the 'nanomites', in English it "eats metal". Scientifically, more like it corrodes the metal elements. Which got me to think, how is it possible to 'eat metal' because even when metal corrodes, the elements is still there, just not disappear. In modern atomic theory, atoms cannot be created nor destroyed in chemical reaction. I might have missed it, but the particles from 'eaten' metal should be scattered everywhere. Furthermore, it made me wonder how the strong bonds are broken by nanomite bites. Then most metallic materials aren't pure metals, but a compound with nonmetal or another metal. Because pure metal is physically unstable and brittle. Mixing them with other elements to form an alloy stabilizes it.

Oh yes. Scarlett did mention about a scientific theory thingy. <3 style="font-style: italic;">"Evil never looked so good". I think it's better if the Baroness remained cold and heartless, because I like twists (hope she goes back to Cobra if there's a sequel). Baroness actress isn't too pretty but she does look good with the glasses (as she's supposed to wear in the comic version). Zartan may look low profile but it's so cool that he's the master of disguise. Storm Shadow has this Asian look, and his clothes got ripped off!!! [GYISJFGYIBUDSFBCUJDB *fangirls* *drools at sexy bod and seluar koyak-rabak]. "Arashikage" lol... literally his codename.

Lastly, I've heard of false protagonist but GI Joe gives us a "false antagonist" twist. Wait, I think other story, anime or video game might have used this. We thought it was McCullen/Destro, since the movie shows a prologue on McCullen clan's fate - which may lead to the character's antagonism. But I knew beforehand that Cobra Commander is the main villain, but I totally forgot about him, or thought that McCullen will 'evolve' into Commander. but it turns out the 'right-hand man' or 'mad scientist' archtype is the "shadow king". When he got into the cobra mask thingy, it instantly reminded me of Darth Vader *dies* (even the husky voice and heavy breathing). IMO, he did a noble thing to end his sister's depression by injecting the nanomite solution into her, even if it's inhuman (I guess have a twisted mind myself). I love his quote about the fact that we need sacrifice for science thing.

I felt nothing after going out of the cinema though. There was no "OMG" reaction like after watching Transformers (I OMG-ed in during the screening because of the physics applications) and no unsatisfied satisfaction like after watching KAMI the movie. IMO, sacrification makes a story freakin' awsm. but overuse of it may lead to cliche.

It's obvious who my favourite characters are.
I love ninjas ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers