Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Review: Kamen Rider OOO

This is the second Kamen Rider series I’ve ever completed, after Fourze - and it might probably be the last. Mind you I’ve never been a KR fan, nor have I become one after seeing OOO and Fourze. I did watch a few episodes of Kabuto, W and Wizard but I wasn't really impressed. This might be the only KR I like very much... and n-no it's like I love it because there are ikemens!

fanart does not belong to me

So I was first introduced to OOO when I visited a Reppu_kiri's house during Eid festives, and part of our gang was there. He imprisoned us in his otaku room and forced us to watch a few tokusatsu series. He showed us the movie where W, OOO and Fourze teams up and there are the first 7 riders as cameo. Taichou skipped the parts where I am not familiar with, so it was later I got struck by a cupid’s arrow seeing how stupidly angelic Eiji Hino looks when he invites Gentarou Kisaragi (Fourze) to team up.

To be honest I LOL’d at the funny song when he henshins. But what made me attracted to watch OOO is where he spawns clones in his Gatakiriba combo.

My first impression of OOO is… well…

First I was mesmerized by the opera version of the “Happy Birthday” song.


Secondly, halfnaked protagonist.

Thirdly, the main girl isn’t annoying.

This is the best introduction episode I've ever seen in my whole life.

Then I kept watching mainly because I was attracted to the OST and then… there’s Ankh (the red bird guy who likes icecandy). Plus there are the eccentric characters like Kougami (aka cakeboss), Chiyoko (restaurant owner of a cultural restaurant) and Dr. Maki (the doll-freak). Not to forget the bromantic Kamen Rider Birth team; Date Akira and Gotou Shinjurou. However, the main villains called GREED, in spite of being 800 years old are literally like kindergarden kids. But they can be pretty cute, especially Ankh who's very much fascinated by human technology.

zomg coolest human invention evarrrrr

In spite of the typically childish monsters, and lame SFX, the story proved to have a deeeeeeeeeeeep message wrapped around it. Some parts were kinda predictable, but that didn’t matter cos the way it’s presented is rather intriguing. It teaches you how your selfish desires could bring harm to those around you… and OOO takes it too literally and exaggerated it. On the other hand, Eiji and Hina (the not irritating girl with some kind of brother complex) believes that it’s okay to have desires, but it depends on how you make use of it or something like that. So they don't spread the message that we should all become moralfaggots.

They should get married, you know, but I’d think that it’ll make OOO too cheesy if there’s too much romantic stuff. I mean, it’s a children’s show to begin with, ne?

Personally, it’s the crapload of bromance is what made me hooked. It’s what W failed to do (Phillip looks too girly to me o__o|ll and the female assistant is an eyesore ). Other than that, there’s the COMBO THEME SONGS which excites me whenever Eiji does the combo henshin thingy.


I love the songs so much I listen to them everyday~

3 comments:

  1. >He imprisoned us in his otaku room and forced us to watch a few tokusatsu series
    >forced

    I prefer the word 'Indoctrinate'. Sounds so edgy lel

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's generally accepted around tokusatsu fandom that the middle parts of OOO is a shining example of how NOT to do a toku series. And btw, you should really reconsider Kabuto. Give him a second chance!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I'm not in the tokusatsu fandom, so I'm judging the show as a non-tokusatsu fan - I liked it very much.

      When a show's first impression doesn't intrigue me, then I'm least likely to watch it especially when it's over 40 episodes. Plsu there's something abut Japanese live actions that repels me. So no, Kabuto won't have a second chance from me. But it's okay Kabuto still have many fans.

      Delete

Followers