Saturday, January 12, 2013

Review: GOSICK (Anime)

This is another 2011 anime that I forgot to review. And I liked it a lot.

Based on a light novel, GOSICK is about a tsundere loli detective with her unintentional assassistant who came from Japan. The year is 1924 and set in European country called Saubure. In spite of it being a fictional country, the reasoning behind the mystery solving session is not too farfetched. And at least they don't disturb too much historical facts for being a fictitious country. I have never seen or read any mystery-themed anime/manga (I don't Conan), but I've seen an episode of CLAMP School Detective but the mystery of that particular episode is not mysterious at all. I had to restrain from laughing at the detectives wondering about what happened derp-ishly. However, what makes GOSICK an interesting mystery, is not because it's another typical Sherlock Holmes mystery (not that I dislike) him, but most of the time Victorique deals with revealing the truth about urban legends. Yeah she can even deduce how magic trick works. So yeah it's not an actual detective story but more like doing some mythbusting the classical way.

Apparently, in an anime world, regardless of where you are as long as you look weird and foreign you're often the topic of urban legend gossip. Like the classmate's are like "omg he's a death god" just because his has black hair and is Asian but lulz Kazuya Kujou doesn't even look Japanese for heaven's sake. But then it's typical of anime artists to make Japanese having big eyes and colorful hair. And as a desperation move the author just had to use that popular stereotype probably to attract moetards. But surprisingly I like this loli tsundere, maybe it's because she's smarter than most tsunderes out there. Then there's also the cockblocker character whom I think would be good friends with the anti-social detective but turns out she's just there to be a busybody. I am a little disappointed at the relationship between characters part, especially when it comes toVictorique Du Blois who only wanted to open up to just one person.


he does not look Japanese

While I like all the cases they involved themselves in, the only thing I am disturbed with is the fact that the 'grey wolves' clan has some kind of superpowers thing. Here I thought it would be another urban legend thing to unravel, but turns out the bad guys were obsessed with the idea until the end. Now I am not sure what the 'superpower' really is (was it to bring fortune?), but it seem to indicate having a genius mind. But lol is that even an inheritence thing? The bad guy could just take any genius to help him take over the world or something instead of making a woman suffer thanks to a prophecy he believed in. good thing that's the only shit stuff about GOSICK and you can only see it at the last few episodes and suddenly the ending looks like the writers forgot the show is about mystery. Or maybe it wasn't in the first place. I pretty much enjoyed the mysteries rather than the actual plot... It's probably just me because the real story seems out of place with the whole thing we see.

The romance here, between the main characters is naive and pretty common, high school crush and one love triangle thing. What you see in the promo poster is what the canon pair is, so there's no suspense there. However, when it comes to the adults they have a rather mature and unorthodox take on it. Personally I love how they write the adults compared to the little kids.

and i love his hair

While I like the ED, the OP sounds too modern poppish it looks out of place for the gothic setting.

If you're a moetard do pick up this show, and even if you're not a tsundere loli fan do try this out and watch it for the urban legend mythbusting. Eventually you'd find Victorique to be charming too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers