Author: Kodama Yuki
Studio: MAPPA
Also known as “Kids on a Slope”, this is about a transfer student (again with the transfer student!) who belongs to a rich family that complains about climbing the slope to get to school. He thought his life would suck at a new place until he has an instant crush on the first girl who is nice to him for no apparent reason. When frustrated, he likes to escape to the rooftop (again with the rooftop!) but when the first time he wanted to go there at his new school the door was blocked by a badass looking guy sleeping under a white sheet. Upon waking him up, the badass grabs the transfer student’s hand and calls him an angel.
Then I became confused, is this anime supposed to be straight or gay…?
Later it is revealed that the sexual orientation of this anime doesn’t even matter, because the best part is you’re introduced to the wonders of Jazz music, and Jazz rendition of well-known songs (at least I know Someday My Prince Would Come and also Favourite Things). I’m never really into jazz but I do enjoy the jazzy songs found in video game OSTs and such. So I pretty much can appreciate Jazz music more thanks to this one. That said, Apollon has one of the best OSTs in 2012 anime, composed by Yoko Kanno. On related note, I love the OP; "Sakamichi no Melody" by YUKI.
Since the setting is like, 50 years ago in Japan, and the fact that the demographic is josei, you don’t see any of those typical shits you see in high school anime nowadays. Firstly, NO SHORT SKIRTS. Then you have a record shop. Then you have a couple who actually eloped (I think the development is rather stupid but I guess that’s how the youths of the old days was like?). A confession that didn’t cocktease you until you reach the last episode. Stuff about student activism somewhere. And also a different music genre that emerges to cockblock the two boys’ relationship. And this jazz medley:
Kaoru (the pianist) and Sentarou (the drummer) is the typical combination of 'opposites attract'; the former is the clever, rich guy, and rather weak... the latter is the trouble-making dumb guy who can easily beat up a bunch of third years. What the have in common is both are strong-willed, and both are familiar with music... just that initially their views on music were really different. They may be opposite, but that's the ideal formula for BROMANCE - no doubt about it! Now don't get the wrong idea as these guys do have the girls that they fancy
The story stays true to the manga at least, except a few scenes/chapters have been cut to compress it into 12 episodes. But at least you get to hear the songs come to life.
If you like something different from typical shoujo shit, or typical music-themed anime go ahead and try this one. If you're a girl who enjoys "bromance" then this is for you too :3

No comments:
Post a Comment