Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Review: Star Driver

I can’t believe I missed this out too.


I think by now I’ve forgotten most of the things happened in the story. Let’s see if I can remember the plot…

Star Driver begins with a red haired guy who drifted ashore, interrupting a young engaged couple on their date on the beach. The girl gave him a CPR, and cue love triangle, because from then on they stick together as they go to a HIGH SCHOOL. And then we have a group of fabulous bad guys in masks, and fancy codenames planning to free the island off a magical seal by tainting the shrine maidens.

not sure how the love triangle really works lulz

The power of GINGA BISHOUNEN (Galactic Pretty Boy roflmao) is bestowed upon the red haired boy, which made him transform into some kind of mahout shounen piloting a gay-looking mecha. His primary goal is to protect the shrine maidens from the bad guy team, which are called Glittering Crux or more infamously known as KIRABOSHI~
(^_−) > ☆
But the only maiden he knew at first was the girl who gave CPR to him.

And when the battle starts, the first tainted maiden sings…



Just like superhero stories I think it’s obvious that the primary people in the bad guy team can be found in their school. The subchiefs may not know each other, or at least they suspect who is who, but they do know their minions. Every Kiraboshi member, subcheifs or minions has their own weird mecha – which are named after the greek alphabets, and each has unique abilities that matches what the pilot can do (like kendo, boxing, motorcyces etc). So Star Driver is like a slightly manlier version of a mahout shoujo since he beats up the minions first before the subchiefs decide to face Tauburn (the good guy’s mecha, pic above) which is why I can simply call this show a “mahou shounen” lol.

I was actually expecting that Tauburn would eventually have a partner to fight alongside it since the KIRABOSHI members are many. But instead Tauburn keeps surprising us with new attacks everytime he breaks away from being in a pinch. Like drawing out double swords and flying missles.

And of course, there’s the plot twist. A very unpredictable one. Which I believe what every show needs just to become less typical. For example, there was one of the maidens inside the bad guy team – we wonder what she was doing there, we wonder if she’s gonna betray the party or is she a double agent. Then we have one of the good guys, who seems to be the protagonist’s best friend. We don’t know really know what he’s thinking. Is he okay with the third wheel hanging out with his fiancée? Does he have the powers too? With all this fiasco, he seems to have his own plans on how to deal with it, but what does he intend to do?


And why is he in such a gaudy costume all of a sudden?

And… oh, I can’t resist mentioning this; how about a “father and son” showdown?

The ending… is… well, it’s not even a cliffhanger but… I guess the world is saved but it does not look like a happy end for the main three characters… does it?

I have no problems with the art, and I think I remember that I like how the fight scenes were animated. In terms of OST, nothing special except for a few tracks. But the best part of this show is the insert songs by the four maidens.

Personally, I feel sorry for the maidens that they had to stay in the island to protect whatever they’re sealing. It sounds like a cultural taboo thing. And part of me wishes that they’d lose their virginity (figurative speech! or maybe it's symbolic...) already. But what horrible thing would happen to the island, or the whole world if they’re released? It’s kind of twisted, and probably not well thought of, or I might have missed out something. But it really sounds kind of contradicting.

oh look, mecha p0rn!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers