Thursday, December 27, 2012

Review: Persona 4 - The Animation



Studio: AIC Asta & Aniplex

When the anime version of Persona 4 is announced, I had mixed feelings. It is one of my favourite games, something I love more than Persona 3, so I was highly anticipating it. But video game (and visual novels) adaptations are known to turn out rather disappointing.

It doesn’t matter if I knew the story or not, but I thought I could preview the first few episodes to see how they make an animation out of it. Bad news; the art quality was meh. Good news; the presentation of the story is GREAT!

And that is one hell of a surprise as in the game it feels more slow paced, and more like a high school drama. The anime makes the story slightly faster, and they changed some of the scenes yet still staying true to the storyline, just to not make it like an exact copy of the video game.

I won't talk much about the plot as I've reviewed it in the video game here (warning may contain spoilers) like 3 years ago.

For those who has played the game, then you’ll know what I’m gonna talk about here; the individual “Shadow” scenes have something extra. A little more flashback and a little more details, especially for Yosuke and Chie. I also wondered if they did do something about the social links, because there’ll be only 20+ episodes, how are they able to fit in all the characters? But they did it anyway. Probably the only thing I’m disturbed with because the supporting characters social link went too fast, and some compiled in a few episodes making it seem like filler episodes to those who aren’t familiar with the system of the game. Even so, I think it’s an excellent way to adapt the social links in the anime. Even Nanako has a special episode just for herself – which I think it’s important for us to understand her loneliness and her love towards her big brother ^^

one of my fave scenes which I'm glad that they didn't make it typically video game-like, so it looks more flexible and realistic in spite of being in another world.

While the art is not so impressive, I’m glad to hear the familiar tracks in the background. Plus, the OP and ED are unexpectedly GOOD. I’m glad they didn’t pick a random moe-voiced idols, any rock music or just about any hip-hop. Meguro Masashi made sure the songs truly reminds you of the Persona 4 feel and what it is all about.

The final episode was a big troll. During my gameplay I did not come across that final boss. After the ending credits there’s a preview showing that the true end will come in DVD!

When the “True End” episode is out, again, Persona 4: The Animation proved to be a worthy adaptation. It is obviously related to the true ending of P4, but with something you won’t be able to see in the game. Have you ever thought that it is unfair that only the main character’s friends get all the “pursuing my true self” scenes everytime you go down their dungeon?

Well guess what. The MC gets it too! The true ending is worth watching, very satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers