Monday, December 3, 2012

Review: Katanagatari

It's a 2009 anime I almost forgot to review. I stumbled upon a samurai themed manga and suddenly remembered about it.


Studio: White Fox
Author: Nisio Isin

Katanagatari is based on a light novel, which explains all the dialog version tl;dr throughout the series. even the words of a dying person is very looooooooooooooooooooooong. The story is about Togame, a self-procaimed strategist who seeks to collect 12 legendary deviant swords forged by the legendary swordsmith Kiki Shikizaki. She can't fight, however, so she finds the head of Kyotouryuu style, Yasuri Shichika to help her out. The reason why she finds this particular guy is because this fighting style requires no sword, hence he will be least likely to be obsessed with the legendary swords.

For an extremely mysterious girl, she talks quite a lot. And Shichika originally begins as a bland character, but this is due to him growing up in an isolated island, alone with his sick elder sister. While they travel together, i expected some typical awkward romance between the main guy and the girl. But I'm glad the emotions weren't that obvious and focused more on hunting the swords. I guess the reason why I picked this up is because I LIKE SWORDS and to my surprise the blades aren't really your typical looking katanas.

apparently this is also a sword

Each of the people wielding the swords, are either good guys, or bad guys. And Shichika, having no sense of right and wrong, does not feel guilty killing anyone. Which is great because I'm sick of looking at goody-two-shoes dragging through the episodes just because of his sense of justice. And Togame herself isn't that weak emotionally - maybe it has something to do with her tragic past. So it doesn't disturb the pace of the story much.

As they collect all the swords, I wondered if they can really fit into the each of the 12 episodes. And I also wondered what are they doing to do once they collect them, what would happen once they do so? In the end we're surprised with a plot twist, and the ending has another twist which I'm glad isn't so emotional in spite of a certain great loss.

Long story short, the whole thing is about honourable and fearless samurais. For something fresh there isn't much talk about relationship and bonds, just personal inner dilemmas about warrior related things. Politics, selfishness, loyalty, hunger for power and greediness. Just those. And oh I forgot to mention that the antagonists are a group of ninjas. And they're defeated sobs.

I absolutely love the art and graphics of the anime. It reminds me of the game Okami, but not exactly the same. Just that it's nice to see something else for a change than the standard anime art. Maybe I like to see colourful things?

I didn't pay much attention to the EDs, but the whole OST is superb!! Composed by Iwasaki Taku, especially this one below

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers