Thursday, December 27, 2012

Best of 2012 Anime


The year is ending, thanks to Reppu_kiri for the suggestion of listing the best (and worst) of 2012 anime. Probably too early to post this but I plan to post something else on the last day or on new year. I've listed my version down here, and note that you may not agree with me so prepare for butthurt. Also keep in mind that I'm not the type who watches every single anime there is each season, I'm least likely to watch those moe shows and trust me there are bishounen-filled animes which failed to catch my interest as well.

So here goes nothing.

Best Show:
1. Uchuu Kyoudai
2.Shin Sekai Yori
3. Fate/Zero Season 2

Initially I put Hyouka in the top 3 list, but Shin Sekai Yori just went from “watafak” to “omfg that’s totally awesome!” putting Hyouka in fourth place. While I disike season 1 of F/Z I find the 2nd season much more exciting to endure. Uchuu Kyoudai hits the number 1 spot as it’s no longer your average shounen high school drama. Like Tiger & Bunny, it’s about carreer people and mid-life crisis, except that the show is more realistic compared to the superhero themed anime. And it tells you it's not too late to achieve your dreams even if you're over 30 years old (and continue on dreaming), it gives me hope. What makes me love the show a lot is the fact that it hits home – and due to that I haven’t watched anything further than episode 8 yet.

Worst Show
1. Ebiten
2. Kamisama Hajimemashita
3. Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle Season 2

Among the three, Phi Brain S2 is the only one I watched until the end. Why do I watch it anyway? It’s because there’s an epic FukuJun. Why is it horrible? You can check out the review. I cannot bring myself to finish the other two, so I won’t bother reviewing them. Therefore I’d leave my rant here. Personally I think Kamisama Hajimemashita’s plot and characters are horriby written; the story is about a girl who experienced misfortune thanks to her dad and is suddenly given a blessing by a god who randomly found her (it’s called FATE pfft-). However there’s no hint of her trying to survive in the state of poverty as the story shallowly focuses on how’d she deals with the supernatural bishounens more than anything. You don’t actually feel the hardship of being abandoned by your family, but you only get to see Miss Mary Sue complaining about how she wants her normal life back. Ebiten is on the other hand is supposed to be about otaku girls but I find the show’s depiction of them quite insulting. It went too far in terms of ecchi, I don’t see how otaku girls would act like that and I really can’t relate to it. For more accurate representation of ‘otaku’ girls, you can find it in Kuragehime.

Best Male Character

   

1. Rider/Iskander (Fate/Zero)
2. Kagami Taiga (Kuroko no Basket)
3. Oreki Hotarou (Hyouka)

Worst guy: Yamanaka Kenji (Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun), Itou Mamoru (Shin Sekai Yori), Libertà (Arcana Famiglia)

The only reason why I watched F/Z is for Broskander, and thanks to him I have no regrets watching F/Z until the end. But I gotta say I’m most impressed by Kagami Taiga’s character – he who I thought would be another typical arrogant shounen boy but turns out he’s not. He may look like that but he KNOWS how to tone down his ego. Oreki on the other hand is not your hot-blooded protagonist but his skills as a detective, even when deducing pointless stuff which makes him kinda unique.

YamaKen is the guy I hate most in TonaKaibu, thanks to something I learn from Sukitte Ii Na Yo - I don’t think he’s really in love with the main girl but he’s just going all CHALLENGE ACCEPTED with the whole situation. To me, he doesn’t know what he’s doing or how he really feels and I’m hoping the plot allows him to grow into someone better (been there done that I guess lol). I acknowledge that the existence of Mamoru in Shinsekai Yori is pretty much an important plot device, but I can’t help disliking him for being so weak and unable to accept the ‘truth’. Liberta didn’t give me a good impression as he looked as though he was trying too hard to be the ‘perfect’ guy (this may just be my own opinion).

Best female character

   

1. Koko Hekmatyar (Jormungand)
2. Morgiana (Magi)
3. Murasaki (UtaKoi)

Worst Girl: 1. Todayama Kyouko (Ebiten)
2. Momozono Nanami (Kamisama Hajimemashita)
3. Saber/Arturia (Fate/Zero)

Koko is like the female version of Lelouch, a much much better female strategist-type character than Gundam 00’s Sumeragi and even Fairy Tail’s Mavis. Well, at least she HAS a character, though I still find it baffling to have a very young lady to lead a mercenary unite. Morgiana has half or maybe two third of Erza Scarlet’s epicness as a female warrior, and as a character (not a tsundere nor the need-to-be-protected type). I believe she can grow more. In third place I would like to put Watanabe Saki (Shin Sekai Yori) instead of Murasaki… but Saki is still in her low self-confidence phase and is still uncertain about the truth around her, I can’t like her that much yet. So it’s this depiction of Murasaki (based on a true story) is what I like more cos I feel like I can relate to her.

About Kyouko and Nanami, I’ve explain briefly about their respective animes so you could get a clue from there. Saber is bland, ‘nuff said (allow me to explain more once I get to F/Z season 2 review)

Best OP [EDIT]


1. To the Beginning - Kalafina (Fate/Zero S2)
2. See You - Yuya Matsushita (Natsuyuki Rendezvous)
3. KINGS - Angela (K)

Best ED:
1. Circle of Friends - Totsuka Tatara/Kaji Yuki (K)
2. Yubi Bouenkyou - Nogizaka 46 (Magi)
3. Catal Rythm - OLDCODEX (Kuroko no Basket)


There were many great OPs this year but not many awesome EDs, as far as I’m concerned. The OPs I listed up there are my top 3 since they relate to the story the most, though I'd like to mention that I love ClariS's "Wake Up" from Moyashimon Returns, Yuki's "Sakamichi no Melody" from Sakamichi no Apollon, Nano's "Now of Never from Phi Brain, and GranRodeo's "Can Do" from Kuroko no Basket.

Can't seem to find the really really great ED this year but I love "Circle of Friends" most cos it's sad ;__;. As for Magi's ED, it sounds like children singing and it really suits the main trio cos they look like kids having fun (althought the current storyline in the manga has become a bit darker). Catal Rythm is the third cos I can't think of anything else that's good, and it's one of the few memorable EDs I have in my head.

Best OST:
1. K - Endo Mikio
2. Sakamichi no Apollon - Kanno Yoko
3. Kuroko no Basket - R・O・N



Sorry couldn't find playlists for them except for Sakamichi no Apollon, and I can't find other OST's for KuroBasu. I've been addicted to K's OST since the moment I watched the trailers, then I fell in love with the rest of the background music while watching the show. My weakness is damn good OSTs even if the show turns dull and not even bishounens can save me from dropping. And surprisingly it's the type of "hip-hop" genre my ears are able to accept. Next, I gotta be honest that I haven't watched Cowboy Bepop so I don't know how Kanno Yoko sounds like, but thanks to Sakamichi no Apollon for making me like jazz a little bit more (the only jazz songs I like is anything from video game OSTs). Another surprise for me is that, i didn't expect Kuroko no Basket to be anywhere near unique but then it has a list of EPIC tracks. So it's another show I enjoy watching because the music suits the mood of each scene :3

Best Art: Ai no Kusabi (2012), K, Utakoi.

not gonna say much about the first two but Utakoi is a special case. It's like Okami + Katanagatari type of art, although not as pretty but I really love looking at something different.

[EDIT]
Best battle scene
1. Yatogami Kuroh vs Munakata Reisi (K episode 7)
2. Archer vs Berserker (Fate/Zero S2 episode 2 or 15)
3. Aomine Daiki vs Kise Ryouta (Kuroko no Basket episode 24)

lol this one is just extra, something I thought up last night while marathon-ing K before the final episode. Kuroh vs Reisi has the most beautiful animation to date, as I loved how KuroBasu animated Aomine's movements in the anime. But even better when he faces Kise because Kise executed his "Perfect Copy". Archer vs Berserker is jet fighting goodness. Yeah ranked this according animation awesomness X3
---

Once again lemme remind you that I don't watch all anime, so forgive me if my thoughts are rather biased. And there are animes I plan to watch like Psycho Pass but don't really have the time cos I prioritise my favourite ones. So you can recommend me anything that I've missed, especially OPs, EDs and OSTs. Or you can like... counter me if you see your fave show/character in my worst list, tell me why they're not meant to be there - see if you can convince me otherwise. I'm open for healthy debates yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers