Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Review: Life of Pi

Went to a movie marathon the other day and one of the movies I watched was Life of Pi.

It wasn't in one of my priority list but like the Avengers I only intended to accompany a friend.

But after watching, it was not a regrettable experience.



I went to watch the film in 3D, but the silver screen lost its 3D feel somewhere in the middle of the movie... but at least the glow in the dark part reminded me that I'm watching something in 3D.

Life of Pi is about a guy who is named after a pool; grew up in Pondicherry - the French Part of India and is often teased by having a strange name. But the boy had a strong heart, he had worked hard in diverting his name from something dirty into something really awesome. And also how he dealth with love and his first heartbreak. It seems like the childhood flashback of his was a waste of time in the film... but I think it's an important introduction on what type of guy is Piscine "Pi" Patel :3

Lesson number 1; find a way to stop yourself from being bullied. Be your own hero, don't expect someone else to come save you.

The next part is, the story is about how to survive when you're stranded in the sea... with a tiger. Follow the adventures of his survival, alone, with a wild animal. And I assure you, this tiger is NOT the Disney happily-ever-after type of company, so you might as well get eaten by it... if not the sharks. Makes you wonder how he'd survive and tell the story... yeah he survived because at the 'spoiler' is right at the beginning lol.

Lesson number 2; do not give up hope even when you're caught between the devil and the deep blue ocean.

By the end of it you learn that all those one hour of sufferring may be just a delusional story... yet it was worth watching and listening to. Turns out there were metaphors here and there.

Lesson number 3; be creative in your storytelling - life is more interesting that way :D
Lesson number 4; who are we to question the truth of the story when we have not seen or experience it ourselves?

Back at school we learn literature the very textbook-ish way (BORING), and I remember themes like "Man vs Man", "Man vs Nature" and "Man vs Himself". The whole point of Life of Pi is "Man vs Himself", more than "Man vs Nature". Lesson 1 relates to this a lot, how he has the will to survive. Because it's in his core. He's no wimpy kid, he's never been a wimpy kid.


Now you too stop being a wimpy kid or you won't be able to survive anything.   Oh yeah one more thing. I forgot to mention that Pi, in spite of all those shit he went through, he is still a religious person. Though I do not like the idea of the pantheism, I think there are stuff there to ponder about... whether you're a believer or a non-believer. And for those who still believe.... 

Lesson number 5; "Even when God seemed to have abandoned me, he was watching. Even when he seemed indifferent to my suffering, he was watching. And when I was beyond all hope of saving, he gave me rest. Then he gave me a sign to continue my journey." - Piscene Molitor Patel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers