Sunday, September 23, 2012

Review: Usagi Drop (anime)

Author: Yumi Unita
Studio: Production IG



Once upon a time, a 30 year old salaryman’s grandfather died. At his funeral, while meeting relatives, he also meets a little girl. His relatives talked shit about the little girl because she’s a bastard child of the grandfather and his housekeeper. Since nobody gave a fuck about the innocent little shit, the salaryman decided to take her in.

No, this girl ain’t shit. I was just mocking at how other people react to her existence.

And I’m glad this story has nothing to do with lolicon or incest like the rest of the shows out there. The story is more about hardships of parenting, and the salaryman is in a rather awkward position as he is neither a father nor a married man. So while he listens to mothers and fathers talk about how they deal with having children, and the sacrifices they have to make, single and parent-to-be people can learn something….? LOL I dunno!

It’s rather interesting. But I personally think it’s sad there’s a need to sacrifice something good for your kids. It made me more hesitant to become a mother myself. I wouldn’t know if my thoughts will change once I have a child though, but it would be a waste of dreams if I were to drastically throw away something I had worked hard for.

I have nothing much to comment, but the story is sweet and warm. It’s a nice change of pace, since I’m more or less used to hotblooded protagonists who only cared about becoming kings or getting stronger (and I don’t watch moeshits cos they’re often irritating). Usagi Drop reminds you that though you’re no longer have the power of youth, you still have something to do in your life.

Since this is a manga adaptation, well, I’d usually go HEY GUYS THE MANGA IS BETTER JSHDJHSKJFDK but no. I haven’t read the manga, not planning to. But a friend said that he’s rather disgusted by the ending; who Rin chose to spend the rest of her life with. So uh… not gonna go that far. I love the adaptation as it is.

Although I think I'd understand why she'd choose to be with the father figure

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers