Monday, September 17, 2012

Review: Infinite Stratos (anime)

 


Honestly, I couldn’t believe that I watched this till the end.

Studio: 8-bit
Original Author: Izuru Yumizuru

The reason why I picked this up is cos I heard that there was a reverse trap. IS is a story set somewhere in the future where only girls can use this semi-mecha–like thing for military purposes. There’s also a special school for girls to train themselves with the half-mecha thingy. Unfortunately, the girls appear to be like typical hormone raging teens and doesn’t look as though you need a mental strength test to enrol to the academy. Girls as young as 15 are allowed to own a special IS and play around with it like Barbie dolls. For the first time in IS history, a Japanese boy surprises the world by the news that he is the first guy to ever activate an IS.

oh btw it's an adaptation from a light novel. So do expect a bunch of lameness.

The craziness starts here; the boy is thrown into a girls school and, for some reason the stupid school administrator arranged his room in a girls dormitory. Logically thinking, why not give him a private room for himself… maybe just an old garage to keep the girls safe?

Ichika Orimura – a generic harem male character oblivious to the fact that he has many fans just cos he’s the only guy in school (he also has a scantily clad girl fan outside school). He often spurt out heroic phrases and is clueless that those words melt hormone raging girls’ hearts. Maybe it’s in his genes, cos his Onee-sama type sister has a lot of lesbian admirers too. Good thing that he's pretty good looking.

Imagine if Ichika is a fat pizza-faced nerd then I bet his presence is even more unwelcomed.


Houki Shinonono – Ichika’s “FIRST CHILDHOOD FRIEND” which she is so happy about. Generic tsundere. She hates her sister, who is actually the creator of IS (gasp, female inventor!)

Cecilia Alcott – A Pompous British girl who develops a crush on Ichika after he defeated her in a stupid IS battle.

Huang LinYin – Ichika’s second childhood friend, a generic loli and the most annoying type who believes she's Ichika's destined waifu.

Charlotte Dunois – The supposedly reverse trap who I think failed at the very beginning, yet she’s the most SANE character among the girls. And I personally think she should stay acting as a boy cos she looks cuter as a shota. If you ask me I'd pick Ichika x Char as my IS OTP.

Laura Bodewig – At first I liked her stoic attitude… but after the hero saved this iron lady from being consumed by iron, she declares Ichika to be his waifu and stole his first kiss. Her 180 turn of personality is a major turn off.

First half of the season focused on introducing new girls and a whole bunch of stupid girly stuff like fighting over a guy or trying to impress him with IS skills. Suddenly there’s a beach episode which I thought was totally pointless. But I guess they need an episode for the fanboys to fap. The last half got more serious but still didn’t help strengthen the plot.

No explanation on why IS is only operational by girls, why Ichika is the only guy who can. No explanation on the unmanned IS and no specific villain at all. It could probably be in the light novel, but they could’ve replaced the beach episode with something more intelligent. Oh once again, who cares about intelligence. Anime is all about fanservice! Boobs! Bikinis! Tsundere! Yandere!

This anime is obviously not about technological advancement in warfare but more like a special school for aspiring sluts. Owait, they ARE already sluts.

and this guy shall evaluate their level of sluttiness.

Okay somehow the anime OP keeps getting stuck in my head now and then, although I really dislike the genre. ED wasn’t appealing to me. Anyway, Charlotte’s would most likely be the reason why I started liking the seiyuu, Kana Hanazawa due to her natural voicing.

Conclusion: the anime sucked BIG TIME.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers