Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Review: Puella Magi Madoka Magica (anime)

Studio: SHAFT

[WARNING: May contain spoilers]


So I heard it’s a dark mahou shoujo. So I heard kyubei is an iconic mascot.

And I thought when you say ‘dark’ the drawing isn’t as flat and sketchy like a drawing done by a 9 year old -_-

Right, let’s put the art style aside for now. Pink haired girled called Madoka is running around in a strange room, stumbled upon a door and witness a dark haired girl fighting something big in the middle of the night. The girl warned something to Madoka couldn’t hear, and at the same time a white cat-bunny-like mascot was telling her to consider becoming a magical girl. Next day, she woke up and realized that it was just a dream… but when she went to school a new girl called Homura comes into her class who looks exactly like the girl in her dream. And for some weird reason that dark haired girl starts lecturing her about don’t become what she shouldn’t become like wtf. Then in the real world she got sucked into some weird dimension and tries to save the talking plushie with the help of her best friend Sayaka. Along the process, she meets another magical girl, Mami.

So I heard somebody died in the earlier episodes. But when I watch that scene… huh…? It didn’t give much impact as Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann had. Probably because she wasn’t an epic enough character to grieve for. Maybe Sayaka and Madoka would but viewers didn’t get the chance to connect with Mami yet. Then Kyoko comes… I thought she was a jerk, but she’s actually the most reasonable mahou shoujo who could still get a grip even though she’s gone through FML moment.


oh don't worry, at least you gain a lot of fanboys from here...

Much later, stupidity keeps coming when Sayaka, who became a mahou shoujo for a short period of time. Thanks to the shit caused by Madoka (revealing the truth about mahou shoujo-ism) and the shit her other best friend did to her. The shit wasn’t as bad as Kyoko’s shit, but Sayaka’s too weak for that. Then when Homura’s past is revealed, we were informed that the cool, calm and collected black mahou shoujo is actually a dumb selfish lesbian (you know, if I were her I’d either revive all my dead friends or protect the whole city from that evil thing). And what I don’t understand was the big boss; does it appear now and then or on that specific time and cause some sort of tsunami to Japan/world? Does it cause the apocalypse? Plot hole here, and another minus point for Homura for being a very lousy thinker.

The show implies that civilization won’t advance without mahou shoujo (apparently, Cleopatra was one). I know of the saying “Behind every successful man, there’s a woman”, now I’m convinced that Ptolemy, Saladin, Newton, Einstein, George Washington, Steve Jobs etc had been manipulated by magical girls (omg they’re pedos!). They didn’t have historical records cos they turn into witches.

But finally, a smart mahou shoujo appears! But she claims to be nothing special, but her wish makes most sense than any other puella magi did. Probably because by now she already know a great deal of truth of what the Incubator race plans by spending a lot of time with Kyubei. OH MAN I cannot believe I ignored Kyubei all this while. I love this creature ‘cause he understands nothing about human values, and heartlessly say sad but true things that we mere humans aren’t able to accept. UNFORTUNATELY, I ain’t satisfied with the ending. Maybe cos I’ve seen that kind of ending before in a novel, and maybe it’s because of my belief as well.


That aside, I believe this anime gives an impact in the moe or mahout shoujo world, cos dealing with magic is not fun and games. You want to fulfil your selfish desire, then your joy would be sacrificed, whether you like it or not. Then you have to fukken deal with it.

Now then, back to the art. Yes, I dislike how the characters are drawn. How even men doesn’t look manly enough. But I do like the Puella Magi costumes, except for Homura’s cos it looks like just another school uniform. Meh. The only part I like was when they enter the witch dimension, where everything becomes funky, fucked up and more 2D than the characters themselves.

Even with all the dissatisfaction, I was captivated by the OST. Beautiful folkish + modern music composed by Yuki Kajiura, and when the episodes end we’re served with dessert called “Magia” by Kalafina. Everytime I listen to this, my thought bubble goes “I’M A PUELLA MAGI” /me_gusta.jpg

magica1_10
don't blame him, you're the one who asked for it

End note: I don’t dislike it, but it really don’t deserve a 10/10, and the characters are really stupid (except for Kyouko)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers