Sunday, September 16, 2012

Review: Ano Hana

Studio: A-1 pictures
Anime title: Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai = We still don't know the name of the flower we saw that day

(I still have no idea why the title is long cos in the end people shorten it anyway)


I rarely watch Slice of Life, but due to recommendations, I decided to try this out. This is one of the animes which made me cry in the end. Moreover, the OP and ED are lovely as well. Also, the ED closely relates to the characters/story so yeahhh

The story is about childhood friends, who mostly went separate ways, and yet still clinging on to a childhood trauma. They’ve totally forgotten about it until a ghost of their friend appeared in front of the hikkikomori guy. Why did she specifically appear on just him, well, I reckon that she's rather shameless. Probably still has a mind of a kid cos ghosts don't reach puberty. Since then hikkikomori guy meets the other bitter childhood friends, then they see each other more often, indirectly discussing about their past and who’s fault is it that this friend died blablabla and in the end reconciled. The best episode (other than the last one), is the part where they make the fireworks together like they were kids again. Oh the main reason of the conflict which lead to the death of the girl is due to… PUPPY LOVE.

OH FOR HEAVEN’S SAKE YOU WERE JUST KIDS WHY’D YOU HAVE LOVE TRIANGLES ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU’RE A BOY??

while I have no problems with the plot, this is the only matter that disturbed me throughout the whole story. I wouldn’t mind if the tragedy happened while they were in their teens, and they decided to make up in their 20s – when they’re mature enough. It makes more sense. It is logical to remember your bad past while you were a kid, but I doubt many people hold on to it. That’s why the best character in AnoHana is Popo. At least he tries to get them together again, as friends, ignoring the fact that they’re love rivals or has a crush on each other etc.

Apparently, in this anime comes the theory, where after you die, you may come back several years lalter in your grown up figure if you sort of haven't fulfilled your promise. So let's not worry about repaying debts cos we can always haunt our bff to do your shit for you.

She may not look it but here's the main villain of the story. If it is wasn't for her, her friends she left for the afterlife wouldn't be in despair. Damn bond breaker. And you know what's creepier? This ghost can fukken eat.

Bottom line, the writer sucks and is excellent at the same time. I can’t deny the fact that I realy shed tears at the ending. Yes the story is good. Watch it. Ignore my criticism on the puppy love crap XD

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers