Thursday, January 7, 2010

Review: Needless (anime)


[WARNING: May include spoiler]

[WARNING 2: you may not like reading this...]


AUTHOR: Kami Imai
Studio: Madhouse
Genre: Action, Sci-fi, Ecchi

I thought this is another GAR anime like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. But I regret watching it. I stayed loyal to the end just to see shota Adam but is happy to see 2 dudes fighting in the nude (censored lah).

Summary: it's year 20XX where World War III already happened and an unknown element dropped on Japan (where else?) and left a Black Spot there. Which country did it, is unknown. Funny why it is unknown cos by that era technology should be freakin' advance that they should've anticipated who's coming and easily track down who did it. Okay, let me tell you a little secret. Malaysia did it. FOR IT WAS I who will develop some badass nuclear technology which lead to the incident where my beloved people decided to pay back Japan worse than what they did during World war II. But my nuclear techno is so awsm it mutate some guy's cells consequently giving him many superpowers that people decide to call him "The Second" (so-called the 2nd god la). Other people got expxosed by the radiation too but they can only weild one power each (called Fragment). They are dubbed the "Needless".

Why are they called that way, I dunno. But the term is misused because in the end justice and evil needed the Needless LOL.


PROTAGONISTS
Adam Blade - This dude is a goddamn muscular priest who carries a bible, which is actually a box where he kept a bomb. Pretty much equivalent to Kamina until it is revealed that he's actually a loli-con; -50 points! His younger self is a sweet little kid though 8D. His fragment is Zero, an ability to memorize other Needless' powers.

Eve Neuschwanstein - (WTH with the surname??) a girl in lioncloth... perhaps it's a fashion trend in the future but I don't see anyone else wearing that. What's funny about her is her tendency to forget names and give random nicknames to people she just befriended. And also the Dero Doro protein drink. Her fragment is Doppleganger; my fave!

Cruz Schild - No fragment, therefore seemed rather useless. Cowardly like Simon but he doesn' have any drill (Eve does) but he has something even better. He's quite a strategist but he's a little slow when noticing 'something strange' stuffs so what's the point? Ok at least his plans succeeded twice.

Ok there are others but they're not worth my time.

ANTAGONISTS
Adam Arclight - the main Antagonist, which is a mixture of Iori Yagami and Ash Crimson (both from King of Fighters). He has the same power as Adam, but he's too spineless that he needed a bisexual harem.. i mean, bodyguards around him called Simeon Four Strongest.

Simeon Four Strongest..... nah, you go wiki 'em.

Overall aa... there were more typical shonen stuff. Funny scenes exist but I find myself unable to laugh because of the excesisve panty-shots. But more inclined towards boys because of the endless fanservices (for boys). Not that I mind fanservice, but I do find it annoying when it happens every single minute. The first few epi started out okay with all the GAR-ness and all, but everything is ruined ever since the Simeon Girls Squad came into the picture. Why? Because apparently they're not trained to be modest ladies because they don't really mind if their panties are seen. But I guess they were trained to be shameless, like Setsuna (one of the members in the squad) said, "The mission is more important than our clothes". There you have it! Then why doncha do your job naked??

But they're not the only ones abused, female allies are too. Okay, why are there so many female allies in skirt and the male allies are not even attractive?? (except for my dear Cruz) And I was hoping that Disc is a dude, but instead it's just another loli *vomits*. And why are there only Girls Squad in Simeon, what about Boys Squad? They don't recruit men do they? If they don't, then how would Adam Arclight find his new Uten? LOL. Speaking of Uten.... he was one of the Four Strongest but he died easily, but the B1tches Squad is SO F*CKIN HARD TO DIE.

Related to the previous sentence, fighting them is one hell of a trial because you kinda had to watch the dragginess in a fight which ranges for so many episodes in the very same stage (a giant bedroom dunno what for. I lol'd at how a serious organization wasted their money on such a room...). Finally, after battling for hours, dying and reviving, the main villain came and kindly said, "Hey GUYYYSSS Let's switch stage!!". Okay that was funny. The good guys shud've kicked the bad guy's asses. Okay, the fight was boring too... but the flashback sequence is WIN.

Conclusion: It's biased. (Or maybe I am the one who's biased). But i've seen other shonen anime/manga that is balanced, not too explicit 'fanservice' for both boys and girls. Oh wait... the demographic is Seinen. no wonder la. Okay, perverted guys would like it, naive boys stay away. And girls... if you hunger for bishounen... DO NOT EVER WATCH THIS.

in the end I deleted the files. I wasted my time downloading. Sorry, Deru-tan for making u go thru this.


I think I should add rating here. erm... WTF's rating: 2.5/5


Side note: I just found out in the manga version.... CRUZ CROSSDRESSED!!!!!! \*A*/
and... and Adam B. thought he's a girl! YAY FANSERVICE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers