Well, simply because it's an animation. Why... I should've included Disney's Brave first but that was a long time ago.
Today I just learnt that Rise of the Guardians is loosely based on William Joyce's The Guardians of Childhood series. Ah I guess it looks like each of the characters have their own backstory, and this movie simply compiles everything. Directed by Peter Ramsey, starring, Chris Pine, Jude Law, Hugh Jackman (omfg), Alec Balwdin, and Isla Fisher.
So the story is about childhood imaginary beings like Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny and Sandman, who literally came to life in this show. They exist, and the only way to make children believe in them is not necessarily by showing up in their doorstep. As long as they give presents every Christmas, provide fabulous eggs for Easter Egg Hunt, leave a quarter for a tooth under your bed and allow you to have the sweetest dreams... they'll believe in you.
However, Jack Frost, even after a three hundred years remains as a figurative speech. And so we have the teenage boy who yearns to be noticed kind of thing. As you can see, he's the main character, who's later recruited as one of the Guardians (along with the four i mentioned earlier) because a something wicked hovered the globe. And as a main character, he's not your average naive hero, but the mischeivous yet chivalrous type... I think we've seen this more than a couple of times in the anime and manga world
Once more, good vs evil stuff blablabla nothing wrong with that. This time we have something extra like wanting to be noticed, acceptance, teamwork, trust, and how to give joy to kids. Skipping all the spoilers, the good guys win yet again...
...and I end up feeling sorry for Pitch Black...
i know you lot has a crush on Jack Frost, but I'm gonna side the Boogeyman. I mean, I can so totally relate because... I wear black everyday pfft-
[WARNING: Spoilers]
"You want to be left alone? Then BE ALONE!" - Pitch Black to Jack Frost. This quote hits home, man.
Pitch Black is, like Jack Frost, not acknowledged and thus people cannot see them. Perhaps it was due to their negative nature, that people would rather believe in some people who'd reward them with joy. Jack Frost centre was 'fun', so he had been living for so long, unnoticed yet he tries to play with kids as a winter spirit. Being a lot younger than Pitch Black (it seems), he didn't get to experience how'd lonely it is to be invisible. I guess since the Boogeyman is sick of being isolated, he takes his evil to a larger scale. Another case of misunderstood villain.
When Pitch confronted Jack, about forming a tag team, personally I look forward to "cold and dark" combo. But I guess Jack wasn't interested, so I'll just make it my headcanon. And whatever Pitch did seems like he was craving for attention; "LET'S MAKE KIDS BELIEVE IN FEAR!!". I guess he's frustrated that he cannot bring positive things to little kids.
y-yamete kudasai!!
What I expected was, the good guys... well, being GOOD GUYS, would give him a second chance. Yes, I know fear and despair are not meant for kids, but I think it's good for them to understand those. Perhaps as a preperation to the adult world? And this too raises a question; till what age would the children believe in the guardians?
The good guys could've befriended Pitch and allow him to use his powers at minimum. Surely when he's accepted, he wouldn't try to take over the world anymore. I think he only needed friends. It's common to see bad-guys-turn-good in anime/manga but I guess the western kids' show didn't dare to do this just yet. I also mentioned in the previous blogpost, KR Fourze has an interesting and unique way to beat the villain - and it really changed my views on how to deal with antagonists (ideally lol).
[spoiler ends]
Which totally reminds you of this particular Bunny. Oh great now I know TWO tsundere Bunnies XD



No comments:
Post a Comment