Monday, November 19, 2012

Distant Worlds: Music From Final Fantasy 2012

We've been waiting for any Final Fantasy Orchestra to come to Malaysia. And finally, when Distant Worlds was announced that they will be performing in Kuala Lumpur, we immediately bought the tickets the moment the sales are open! The tickets sold like hot cakes. And the seats we got are the cheapest, and three rows in front of the stage. But that doesn't matter because what's important is to enjoy the live performance of our favourite tracks!

Venue: KLCC Philharmonic Hall, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Date: 17th November 2012
Time: 8.30pm

no pictures allowed at all times. But sorry, we are Malaysians, we don't give a f*ck. Photo by Reppu_kiri

Just for this concert, suddenly all the nerds/gamers/otakus look like a sir.

Oyeah, before the concert started, we bought some merchandise.

The show started with the Final Fantasy Prelude, the song you hear in most FF intros especially the classic ones. While it was played it brings me back to the days I started playing the games, the times we watch the opening FMVs, holding on to the controller getting all excited about beginning the adventures. Damn you, you made me wanna play all the games again!!

Next was Liberi Fatali. The local choir did a great job imitating the eerieness of the original song. Though FF8 was my least favourite game, it's one of my faves. Well, don't we all love Liberi Fatali? Thank you Dithyrambic Singers! Right after that the conductor, Arnie Roth did a bit of introduction, and relayed a message that Nobuo Uematsu feels bad for not able to come here. I think if he did we'd totally go wild.


you can see Sephiroth's face peeking at the side

Suddenly Victory Fanfare *Victory pose* (they could have played the longer version, you know the part where we see how much we level up and what battle spoils we get? yeah that)

Followed by Final Fantasy III Medley. I don't remember if it's similar from the one in the CD, but of course there's the world map song (OMG THE JALAN2 SONG IS SO BEAUTIFUL), Matoya's Cave - slow version (honestly i prefer the original catchy one xD), and then there's probably an FFIII song that I didn't recognize (cos it's the only classic I have not played), then comes the epic 'Final Fantasy', which is often played at the end of the ending credits. Lastly, FFII's Castle Theme. Wondeful medley ;__; but I really wish to hear FF1's battle theme and Mount Gulug.

Edit: I forgot to talk about To Zanarkand. To me it's one of the songs that really sent shivers down my spine and got me almost teary eyed. I think I was too focused on the video behind the orchestra, and I started recalling the whole gameplay and the story. It was beautiful indeed.

Next was Memoria De La Stono - Distant Worlds, a music from Final Fantasy XI, sung by a guest artist; Stephanie Van Driesen. I believe I've heard this before, but nonetheless, it was still awesome. And then, FFVIII's Man With the Machine Gun - however, I still cannot brain any orchestra versions of Laguna's theme no matter how many times I listen to it. Cos the song suits as techno, if not, The Black Mage's rock rendition of it could bring the whole machine gun guy image in my mind. And then there's Final Fantasy IV's Theme of Love! Again all those video cutscenes makes you wanna play the game all over again.

Prior to the concert, the Friday show attendees spoiled us with the programme list. I'm very much excited the moment I saw You're Not Alone, from FFIX. I mean, really. Only several weeks ago I was all over that song after something bad happened. I'm really surprised to see that particular song in the list, cos it was only played once in the game, and near the ending, I never thought it was so popular. Though it was only played once, it remains in my memory (and heart) for so long... because Nobuo Uematsu is just amazing. I guess that's the thing? So being able to hear it live, words can't describe how I really felt at that moment.

Then, as the conductor said, the concert is incomplete without the infamous Chocobo song, much to my friend Choco-tan's delight XD. First, he introduced us to FFXIV's version of Chocobo theme, the way Uematsu wanted it. And then the ever popular Swing de Chocobo. I'm sure we all felt like dancing, but we could only tap our feet.

Then there's the intermission. Fan-talk about the games.


ninja snapshot

And then we had the FFVII: Opening Theme. We never get tired of this. How it began with slow music and later with something more catchy. Then Az Samad, another guest artist went up the stage to play something from FFV, Dear Friends and also another favourite, FFIX's Vamo' alla Flamenco! And there's the one and only song from a different composer, from FFXIII, Blinded by Light. Probably the only best song from the game, and a little disappointed that the specific violin part wasn't apparent enough to feel its epicness.

Suddenly there's the cutscene from FFVIII, where the problem team; Squall, Zell and Seifer was about to start a mission. The video shows the battle scenes while the orchestra plays Don't Be Afraid. I guess this is one of the favourite battle themes, but in fact I love ALL the FF battle themes, that I wish for a show that only plays the battle themes XD. And then, comes another one of my favourites, Clash on the Big Bridge from FFV. Though it's sad that I couldn't hear the beginning of the melody, but still... HELL YEAH GILGAMESH!!! (although he is the enemy) Just so you know this theme is also present in FFXII :3

And then Aerith theme. I'm not sure how many people got emotional, but, in spite of not being my favourite character, it's sad when you recall that cutscene. I dreaded the video showing the stabbing part, but I'm glad it didn't. But when the video shows the part where Aerith is saying goodbye to Cloud... that's just... well... in memory of Aerith.

Near the end of the show, we have two of the greatest FFVI songs; firstly the OPERA "Maria and Draco" (which consists of  Opening, Aria di Mezzo Carattere, The Wedding, and Grand Finale?.). The conductor summoned Ho Chi Mei, James Leong Cai Hunt and Mok Chi Hoe to sing as Maria, Draco and Ralse. I think they did a great job with it, they didn't sound too creepy with their singing. The thing I love about the mission in the opera -in the game- was the story behind it. It wasn't even about that love triangle *coughlockexcelescough*. Secondly, the sad and full of pride... Terra's theme. It really made me want to play FFVI all over again.

why did they not show this? It's not even a spoiler....

The end?

or not...

Arnie Roth said, "we decided to do something a little different for the Malaysian fans"

And different is different indeed. Because he called upon Stephanie again, to sing Suteki Da Ne (FFX)... in ENGLISH! oh wow all the Japanese lyrics disappeared from my head, I couldn't sing a long. It was if i'm not mistaken, a literal translation of the original song. Also the video shows us the FFX FMVs.. and lastly Tidus and Yuna's underwater sex romance. Anyway the dude in front of me hugged his girlfriend cos he was excited to have this performed lol.

Then we have the epic grand finale, the song that initates the existence of many other creepy choir battle themes, and also the song which we've all been waiting for... the MUST HAVE song in every Final Fantasy concerts... the One Winged Angel. It is my second tie hearing it live, but that night felt like we were literally chanting for Sephiroth to descend into the theatre. Yeah the creepiness was there, it was like some kind of ritual I almost felt like an infedel (owait-). I'm not even a fan of Sephiroth but it doesn't hurt to sing along to your favourite final battle theme :3

After the concert, we camwhored a lot we had an autograph session with the artists. Long before the concert, I got the Japanese version of Distant World's volume 1 MWAHAHAHA man I wish Nobuo Uematsu was there to sign that one.


autograph session

note that, my friends sang something special for Arnie Roth likeaboss.jpg before we left. I pretended not to know them wwww

In spite of a few weaknesses, it was a dream come true to attend a concert of your favourite game series. Will definitely hope and pray that they'd come next year. New tracks, new arrangement please! Especially battle music! And Nobuo Uematsu MUST come next time!

le spoils

Edit: For the younger players, I know most of you started becoming a fan since at least Final Fantasy 7. I'm the same too, but I'd like to recommend the classics. You could start with the first installment, where everything was goddamn simple and straightfoward - you get to at least feel what the original FF is actually like, and that was the game that saved Square from closing down. Hence, the name "FINAL FANTASY", as they thought that would be their final game that they'd release. And especially FFVI, where there are wide range of characters which I think have more depth and have much much more interesting backstory. You can hear more wonderful music than just Terra's Theme. Forget the lack of fabulous graphics, in the end it's basically the same. Where there's a slope, be it 2D or 3D you still cannot climb it. When you're hit the random encounter, you're still teleport into a different stage. What makes the classic games great is how the prioritize the gameplay and story more than eyecandy CGI.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers