Tuesday, March 8, 2011

review: Sengoku Basara 2 (anime)

[WARNING: May include spoilers!]

Photobucket
A sequel to Sengoku Basara anime, yet another adaptation of my favourite CAPCOM video game. Not gonna review much on the characters this time, but I’m just gonna say something about the newcomers.

Hideyoshi Toyotomi – historically, the second great ruler for the Sengoku Period was also known as ‘monkey’, hence his gorilla-ish looks. It is implied in the anime that he has a lover (not sure if it’s mentioned in the game cos I played the Japanese version) and was also Keiji Maeda’s acquaintance. Despite of seeming ridiculously brutal in front of his foes, he was somewhat kind to his beloved tactician.

Takenaka Hanbei – Toyotomi’s beloved masked tactician, who wears a purple mask and whips a chainsword thingy. Supposedly, he’s a great tactician though I think his kidnapping method is rather dirty. Can’t help thinking that this guy is gay, especially by the way he calls people by their first names.

Miyamoto Musashi – in popular belief, he’s a dual sword user and relatively strong. And in SenBasa’s case, he wields a wooden sword and an oar.
Photobucket
[miyamoto musashi, Sengoku Basara version]
Once again, I dislike the way each characters powers act like an atom bomb the DBZ style since it’s not even THAT explosive in the video game. And what’s with drying off the sea shore with a single punch?? Now that’s a bit too much. Now if only we can just do that in the game, destroy half the stage with just one swing.

However, this time I’m rather satisfied with the story and the character development (though I’m pretty sure they f*cked up history again). The rivals, Masamune Date and Yukimura Sanada are splitting ways, fighting their own battles yet still thinking of each other. Awww….

Ahem, anyway, Masamune Date sort of lost his “Right Eye” by Hanbei’s dirty trick, and henceforth his army grew weaker without Katakura Kojuuro’s intelligence. Poor Masamune is ‘nothing’ without his Right Eye :3 Meanwhile Sanada travels far away to form an alliance with another army, and along the way losing one of his ally forever, due to his narrow-minded leadership. Though regretting his actions, he still continued his journey as ordered by Shingen Takeda.


Okay, it’s been a while since I last watched this. I’m not sure what I can remember about the main storyline. I’ll just tell you about my favourite parts then. First is the episode where the ‘biker gang’ cooperates with the ‘pirates’, that sure was interesting! Then Yukimura Sanada versus Miyamoto Musashi! Also the return of Kotaro Fuuma and Matsunaga Hisahide. And also hints of characters that were going to appear in Sengoku Basara 3 (which is already out prior to this review). Nice way of introducing them, by the way.
Photobucket
[here comes another bishounen! Mitsunari Ishida :3]
OP SWORD SUMMIT WAS THE BOMB. It’s TM Revolution again wheeee~~~!! And… and my darling Takehito Koyasu again (as Sarutobi Sasuke) :3

Conclusion: I like it better than the 1st season ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers