This goes way back to the year 1999, and there’s actually a school known as the Occult Academy due to its history of having occult stuff happening around it. One day a teenage girl returns to the Academy to take her deceased father’s place as a principal, and somehow ended up dealing with a ‘zombie’ of her father. Once that is over, a naked man descended from the heavens claiming that he came from the future just to change something in the past in order to prevent the alien invasion predicted to happen in 21 July 1999.
God, I remember nothing of 1999 that I can relate whatever I've seen in this show. I remember fangirling to NSYNC and such... anyhow, here are the protagonists:
Maya Kumashiro – is the daughter of the former principal of Occult Academy, who died and she returned to the school to take his place as a principal while spitting her absolute hatred towards occult. In spite of being a teenager, she’s quite capable of organizing school matters with the help of a smitten secretary. She plans to get rid of the occult culture of the school, yet no matter how much she despises the supernatural, she’s the most knowledgeable about the espers. Geez 2010 sure spawned a lot of tsundere.
Fumiaki Uchida (aka Bunmei aka Abe Minoru) – The man who came all the way from the post-apocalypse future whose mission is to find the Nostradamus Key and destroy it. That way he can change the prophecy made my Nostradamus, where it is predicted that something from the sky is coming to attack earth. When he was a child, he used to be a child celebrity who can bend spoons. He disguises as the history teacher and developed a shallow attraction towards a waitress at a local restaurant.
[supporting characters whom I don't remember much except for the giant wrench and portable keyboard... and also their attempt to troll Maya involving aliens]
Occult Academy made good use of the Nostradamus Prophecy and "2012". The latter disturbs me a bit, and I never like the idea of time travelling and changing history. That aside, I enjoyed looking at the various supernatural things that appear in each episode. You have mothman, chupacabra, aliens and even white/black mages (that’s as far as I can remember). Not to forget the ‘near death’ experience episode, which was rather a different way for the character to tell the truth about himself and reveal his back story. The character development is really impressive for a series that have only 13 episodes. It was annoying to see Bunmei getting all aroused towards that waitress b1tch, who became a recurring character and emerged as a quite important character in the end. Bunmei was initially just another useless male character to compare with the strong and intelligent Maya, but he had a rather heroic end :3. Maya on the other hand, started off as tsuntsun and genuinely hated the occult as well as that useless time agent. But after the near death experience episode, she began to understand him and opened up to him, as she realized how much alike they were. Not only that, her relationship development with other characters, more particularly her father and her childhood friend, is a great lesson for us *__*
But the main highlight of the show is not the occult stuff, but the comedic elements and how excessively crazy it can get. Especially THE FINAL BATTLE. Oh my God what the helllll!!?? It’s not what I call ‘worthy’ but yes, it’s an enjoyable show nonetheless. And I still dislike the idea of time travelling.
Unfortunately I don’t remember the OP and ED. As for the seiyuu, can you believe Maya is also Mio (K-On)? D:



No comments:
Post a Comment