This is an adaptation of a video game with the same name, which is based on Sengoku Jidai that ranged from the 15th to 17th century. It's translated as Warring States period, and is perhaps one of the most popular chapters of Japanese history. Warlords fought against one another to conquer their land (yet known as Japan), and many legendary heroes were born from within that period; most notably the Crimson Warrior and The One Eyed Dragon. And not to forget, the Demon King.
What would you do if the bird does not sing?
"Kill it if it does not sing."
"Make it want to sing."
"Wait until it sings."
The poem figuratively describes the different styles of leadership of the great rules of Japan; Oda Nobunaga, Hideyoshi Toyotomi and Tokugawa Ieyasu respectively.
Just like in the video game, Oda stays true to his nickname the "Demon King" and is the primary antagonist of te first season. With the help of his wife, Nouhime and most loyal vassal, Ranmaru Mori (who's supposed to be a bishounen, but Capcom's version he's a candy-loving shota). As in the true story, Shingen Takeda and Kenshin Uesugi are mutual rivals. Rempit-ing on a horse, Masamune Date is somehow rivalled with the masochist Yukimura Sanada (My sis is gonna kill me if she sees this) when in history they're not really archenemies.
Well if you play the game, and also Samurai Warriors (or Sengoku Musou) you'll see how fucked up CAPCOM version is. Not that I hate it, but Koei's adaptation of Sengoku Jidai is more accurate. The wonderful part of Sengoku Basara is the colourfulness and the character designs. Storywise, a bit too much tweak here and there, and it gets worse in the anime. I think Tokugawa died a bit too early. It's weird because he's the last shogun. I dunno what to say about the plot. I'm not well versed with the Sengoku Jidai history, I think my sister knows better (she even remembers the war names!).
But at least they have epic characters to make up for it.
And if you think the plot is sucky, wait till you see the OVERDOSE SHOUNEN ACTION SCENES THAT REMINDS YOU OF DRAGON BALLZZZ. Well of course i'm okay with the game where Yukimura swings his fiery spear and Masamune shooting lightning bolts with three swords with each hands... but seeing flashes of red and blue clashing to one another in a combat is not what I want to see in an action movie. And the worst part is whenever Oda appears, the clouds turn black, storm approaching the area to emphasize that he was really a messenger from hell. Don't let me start with Tadakatsu Honda, Tokugawa's general also known as "The Warrior who surpassed Death itself"; cos he is portrayed as a robot.... =_=;;
Art-wise, I think they look fatter as 2D compared to their video game counterparts. I personally prefer the characters as 3D. The guys look hot anyway, but the girls are much cuter in the game.

The primary ladies of the game..

anime version... not so moe anymoar D:

T3H LAWLZ!! Is this how a relationship between a daimyou and his kunoiochi should be like??? *blushes*

Don't be fooled by Oichi-hime's vulnerable appearance!! Although she wears pink, she's actually an emo faggot. Next to her is her beloved husband, the super sentai-ish Nagamasa Azai. FUN FACT: They're a cannon Tsundere-Yandere pairing :D
OP is JAP by Abingdon Boys School. The group had been contributing their songs since the first game came out, and I'm glad to listen to them again in the anime. but my favourite SenBasa will always be Blade Chord :3
Second season is out already, I'm putting it on hold. I fear another disappointment, but the first few episodes are promising. I should probably try not to be so serious about the accuracy of SenBasa to the Warring States Period, just that they're using the legend's name with a rewritten history.
oh btw my favourite character is none other than...


No comments:
Post a Comment