Thursday, October 18, 2012

Review: No. 6 (anime)

[WARNING: May contain Spoilers]

Important reminder; my blog contains an incredibly useless reviews cos it sounds more like an opinion. I don't rate the story, character, art, etc aspects as it may seem biased.


that awkward moment when fangirls go "omgwtfbbq they look like Yuu Kanda and Allen walker kyaa kyaa!" when i think they totally look different from that pair...

I’m intrigued due to the genre – sci-fi, but is not related to space battles or robots. And to my surprise there’s a great deal of politics and hierarchy system in this story. And goddamn conspiracy theories.

And let’s not forget about the target audience.

No.6 is an adapatation of a 9-volume mini novel, about a utopian city called No.6 (apparently in the future, humans evolved into people who no longer have the ability to think of epic names. We can see the transition in this age where numbers are used for each growth of iPhone series). And utopian cities often has it’s dark secrets, so the story is obviously about that. But it centres around a genius boy and an eccentric slum-boy, together they find out the secrets of the government.

So it started when Shion, the boy living in a privileged area with his mom due to his intelligence, provided shelter to a runaway boy called Nezumi. All he did was to innocently help the poor guy, but then the officials found out that he cooperated with a criminal, he and his mom were immediately shoo-ed out of the elite area. In spite of that, they lived a pretty okay life, and Shion is pretty much fine without the intellectual environment. Four years later, bees started to pop out of each person’s neck and they die afterwards. Shion was arrested on suspicion of insubordination to the city, but before he could go to court, Nezumi came back to save him.

And then, the bromance starts.

So they managed to get out of no.6, and Shion can see the outside world where the life was rather horrible. Well, didn’t look so terrible, but I guess they had more freedom to do anything. Okay, maybe except for the citizen erasing scene where the corpses are later dumped into a science facility? Shion and Nezumi lived together for a while, and along the way Shion had a scar which looked like a snake wrapping around his body.

Uh… how did the story go again? Right… Nezumi wants to rebels against the no.6 government, but Shion is naively trusting the higher ups while at the same time fascinated by his friend’s fabulousness. Long story short, No.6 is DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP.


highlight of the anime

Then the story diverts to supernatural shit, I think there’s a mother nature goddess thing, and I’m starting to think that the story is losing its grip. Owait, there has been superatural stuff since the beginning anyway. You have one guy who can control rats and also another guy/girl(?) who are good with dogs. Also there’s this girl who proposed to the guy she likes by requesting for his sperm. Why I mention this is that it's not a realistic or natural thing to do, I guess her personality is rather supernatural too.

So the story ends rather boringly imho. There's pretty much less impact in the bromance (compared to the upcoming anime I will soon review) moreover when the relationship felt so one-sided. Not that I have a problem with it but it's rather forgettable.

But then I haven’t read the (translated novel), so I don’t really know how good it really is. I heard it's so depressing that it makes a pretty good story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers