Again, another slow review
Kuragehime ("Jellyfish Princess" in English) is an adaptation from a josei manga of the same name. The story is about a bunch of otaku girls, which focused more on the jellyfish geek named Tsukimi and how her life changed upon meeting a fashionable crossdressing guy.
the whole "life change" upon meeting someone new is rather typical, but this story is far from cliche as it's not just another stupid shoujo plot. At least, it stays mostly true to the original storyline but since it's only 11 episodes don't expect it to be satisfactory, but I'm pretty satisfied with the ending anyway.
The story the second thing I'm impressed with about this title. The first thing was the characters because... the characters are designed to be as realistic as possible. I mean, hey, in general female otakus aren't THAT attractive. Unless they're cosplayers or some sort. But take a look at OreImo, nearly all the female otakus are good looking. Logic fail (but it's anime so who cares about logic). Kuragehime's female otakus vary in shape and sizes, and their personalities differ so much you can't help but laugh at their quirks!
And here I thought "fujoshi" was only for extreme yaoi fans, but if you're crazy about just about anything, you can be considered "fujoshi" (for girls). Jellyfish, trains, Romance of the Three Kingdoms, japanese dolls and elderly men are acceptable too! oh yeah, there's a hikkikomori BL mangaka living in their quarters too (she's like the ORACLE for the girls)
And not to mention, Kuranosuke, the crossdresser, who's not really confused with his gender but likes fashionable things. All thanks to his mom, which he was separated with since he was young. With this hobby, he hopes to be free of being his family responsibilites. Another character that deserves my love is his 30 year old half-brother, who has no experience with women until he sees make-over version of Tsukimi and later got bribed by a manipulative vixen. Now there's also the annoying love traingle involving the lead female haih...
[the lovely kuranosuke]
it was interesting to see how Kuranosuke manage to make the NEET girls work without their consent (go check out the manga for more details). And what I love about Kuragehime is how they mix the life of these virgin otaku girls, fashion industry people and... politicians. YEAH the politicians are LULZ in this anime/manga XD
and I believe I found our IRL Kuranosuke...
[Malaysian fashion designer amir luqman ftw]



No comments:
Post a Comment