Sunday, August 17, 2014

Distant Worlds: Final Fantasy 2014

Good afternoon!

It's been over a year since I last updated my blog. I'm busy with doujins so I really don't have time to write anime reviews, let alone have the muse to do so. My Japanese language sensei suggested that I'd write again since I often write brief reviews on my facebook posts. But allow me to restart with writing a review on Distant Worlds as requested by a friend



Due to unfortunate events, we arrived late for the concert; as a result we couldn't enter the concert hall until the orchestra finished one set. But we were able to listen from outside and it was equally beautiful. The moment we got in they started playing Dancing Mad (Final Fantasy VI's final battle theme) which the conductor Arnie Roth claimed that it was something they have never done before.

After Kefkka's final form theme, it's Final Fantasy XIII's signature music, Light Eternal. Not quite familiar with it since I don't really have any interest playing the game, but watching the movie above the orchestra makes me want to play FFXIII. Next they performed You're Not Alone from Final Fantasy IX, which is my favourite piece from the game though it didn't sound too different from the last Distant World's concert in Kuala Lumpur. Before the interval, it's Chocobo Medley; also a little disappointing to me although they put an effort to make it a little different. I am still hoping they mix all the medleys from every game.

So it turns out we missed 6 songs and I was a little upset that I couldn't make it in time to hear Battle with the Four Fiends, and I think it affected my mood during the first half of the concert. But I personally think that the second half was better because of.... FEELS.

Final Fantasy VII's Opening - Bombing Mission wasn't anything special, Final Fantasy VIII's Fisherman's Horizon was ok and I love the choir part. I was excited that they're gonna play Final Fantasy XII's The Dalmasca Estersand as it's the best song in the game though it wasn't as epic as the studio version. Then we go back to VIII's with Don't Be Afraid.

Now the next part has the best feels, both songs from Final Fantasy X back-to-back. The Hymn of the Fayth was short but it gave me goosebumps. I personally think that Zanarkand was the most beautiful piece in this concert. Now this reminds me why have I not playerd FFX remastered yet?? (Oh wait I don't even have the BD yet!)

Battle & Victory Theme Medley was next, I was kinda hoping that they mix all the normal battle medleys something like this because I love all of the battle themes! But oh well at least they performed Gilgamesh aka Battle on the Big Bridge (Final Fantasy V) and Those Who Fight (Final Fantasy VII).

Final Fantasy VI's Opera 'Mario & Draco' (which is a mix of The Opening, Aria di Mezzo Carattere, The Wedding  Grand Finale performed consecutively) has something new in it; the inclusion of a narrator. Though I expected the narrator to have better voice as heard in The Black Mages version (it's in Japanese but you get my point) or sound more British because British accent is sexy. Nonetheless a mouthed the lyrics along with the singers. Maria & Draco never cease to amaze me in spite of being just a minor scene in the game, and I still wonder what is really the significance (Does it has something to do with Locke x Celes?)

A Final Fantasy concert is incomplete without the Main Theme and this is also gives me (forgive my lack of vocab and tumblr influence) SO MUCH FEELS ;__;

And of course, what's a Final Fantasy concert without Sephiroth's theme? One Winged Angel (Final Fantasy VII) was played during the encore and I wasn't surprised. I guess you really can't deny the awesomeness of this song (though some people argue that Kefka's theme was better).

Overall, I think the fast paced songs especially battle themes were not that great, maybe because I'm used to listen to the rock covers or The Black Mages' rendition. Some songs sounded a bit too fast from its original pace. However, I love the slower songs a lot as in... it gave me the chills and made my hair stood at its end. The movie which was played along with the concert was sometimes distracting, the 32-bit cutscenes looks awkward with the live orchestra (but they did maeke me wanna play the games again, and I haven't even finished the classics! Trust me the gameplay seemed much harder than the recent ones). And I do think the 'AMV's could have done been better.

The first DW in KL was better I think...?

So yeah done with the review. I'll try my best to get back to anime reviews next. Luckily I have MyAnimeList that helps me keep track of my completed animes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers